Credit requests must be submitted within thirty days of the customer's order date. Pet Assistant reserves the right to audit all credit requests and investigate any issues before applying a credit to your account.
Methimazole is a medication that is used to treat cats for hyperthyroidism. Veterinarians prefer this drug for treating overactive thyroids. This medication is not a cure, but a treatment.
Sold per tablet.
Who is Methimazole Tablet for?
For use in cats.
Why use Methimazole Tablet?
Features of Methimazole:
- Works as a preventative for heart failure, heart enlargement, and organ damage
- Results can be achieved quickly after starting treatment
- Often used prior to radioactive iodine treatments or thyroid surgeries
- Protects kidneys for cats who are receiving cisplatin chemotherapy
- Effectively treats hyperthyroidism symptoms
How does Methimazole Tablet work?
Hyperthyroidism takes place when thyroid hormones are overproduced by the thyroid gland. Methimazole controls or inhibits thyroid hormone production, which reduces hyperthyroidism symptoms.
GenPharm Inc, Par Pharmaceutical, Heritage or other generic brand
This anti thyroid drug contains 5 mg of Methimazole
How is Methimazole Tablet sold?
Single 5 or 10 mg tablet
What are the side effects of Methimazole Tablet?
Adverse reactions to Methimazole typically occur in the first 3 months of use and are often reduced when a smaller dose is initiated, slowly building to the full dose over the course of those 3 months. If your cat has any of the following reactions or any other unusual signs, speak with your veterinarian:
- Fever (103ºF or greater)
- Myasthenia gravis (trouble swallowing and severe muscle weakness), in rare instances
- Signs of undiagnosed kidney disease
- Decreased appetite
- Liver issues (which may include vomiting, decreased appetite, lethargy, yellowing of the eyes, skin, or gums, dark urine, and facial itching leading to bleeding and/or scratching
What special precautions are there?
Nursing mothers, pregnant women, and women who could become pregnant should always use gloves if they handle Methimazole tablets or the bodily fluids and/or litter of cats treated with this drug.
What to do if overdose?
Immediately contact your closest emergency animal hospital.
How can I store Methimazole Tablet?
Store away from sunlight and heat. Store at room temperature in a dry place. Store in a tight and light resistant container.
Cats with hyperthyroidism, also known as Graves disease, often have high metabolic rates and could show symptoms of thyroid problems, including:
- Heart murmur
- Labored breathing
- Poor coat
- Rapid heart rate
- Irregular bowel movement and/or urination frequency
- Increased thirst and/or appetite
- Muscle weakness
- Weight loss
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.